Lister Park, North Park Road, Manningham, BD9 4NS
The land now known as Lister Park, was previously owned by the Lister family (prominent industrialists who opened the first of their textiles mills in Bradford in 1838) from the 15th Century until 1870, when it was sold to the Bradford Corporation for less than its market value, on the condition that the land be used to create a public park. Now one of Bradford’s largest parks, in 2006 it was voted Britain’s best park.
Lister Park has a fantastic range of facilities including a boating lake, the Mughal Water Gardens, the Botanical Gardens, the Flower Gardens, the Magnificent Cartwright Hall, two large fenced in play areas, a free to use multi-activity community area comprising 5-a-side football, basketball and cricket, free to use tennis courts, a bowling green and a café.
The café serves both hot and cold drinks and food, as well as ice cream, and is open from April to September from 12-7pm. In October the café is open from 11am to 5pm at the weekends only.
The footpath, which surrounds the park, is accessible to all. Toilets can be found on Oak Lane and cost 20p. Free toilets are available in both the boating pavilion & Cartwright Hall.
The carpark, accessible via North Park Road, is free to use and open from 7am until dusk. On road parking is also available on North Park Road and Emm Lane.
Closest train station: Frizinghall
For bus and train timetables and routes, please visit www.wymetro.com
Further Sources of Information